SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions
View Single Post
post #127 of Old 06-12-2013
keforion

Re: Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions

Wow, Talisman! Major surgery ... and nicely done.

A bit of an update on Orion: The hawsepipes work beautifully. I scored a pair of 66lb Lewmar 'Bruce' anchors for $100 each from Defender and they suck right up into the pipes just as planned. The pipes are 6" Heavy wall (approx.1/2") grey PVC, epoxied into the hull and deck. I used the genoa winches -- the windlass/reels are not finished yet.

Our composting toilet works nicely as well. We did get a crop of gnats at one point, but a dose or two of diatomaceous earth fixed that. It is 'home-made' and cost about ten dollars. Could not see spending a k$ or so on one of the commercial units, although I do applaud them for breaking the ground, as it were, and encourage you who can afford it to support them. One of the leaders in this field has said, roughly, " There are two kinds of civilizations on this planet: those that sh** in their water supply and those that don't. We, in the West, are, unfortunately, one of the former."

I am now about to build the mast extension, graphite/epoxy over a wood substructure -- any advice?

The interior is coming along -- almost civilly habitable -- still need to run plumbing and electrical. We have been 'camping' aboard quite comfortably.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome