SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Yacht Specialties Steering Pedestal

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  weephee 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me how I remove the shifter cable from the steering pedestal. I've removed the compass from the top and the shifter control from the side but I can not remove the 6 inch addition that sits between the pedestal and the bottom of the compass. Drilled out the 4 screw heads but it still won't come off. How is the cable attached down in the middle of the pedestal. Thanks

#5 ·
He said that he drilled the bolts out but the shifter housing won't release from the rest of the pedestal. The stainless bolts are likely corroded onto the pedestal housing; and in effect welding the two components together. I'd try heating the aluminum with a propane torch where the bolts are going through the collar. It might get enough expansion to break the bond between the corrosion and the collar. Next time try using an impact driver (a tool you strike with a hammer); it will either loosen or shear the head off but it's the best tool for loosening frozen bolts.

#7 ·
Just to update you on my shifter cable. As it turns out, replacing the shifter cable was minor compared to removing and re attaching the intermediate pedestal housing. As I stated at the beginning, the 4 long slot screws wouldn't turn. I used different penetrating oils for weeks trying to loosen them. I used the appropriate sized screw driver with a square shank and put a wrench on the shank and tried to turn them but nothing. I then used a hammer screw driver where you pound the top of the driver and the force causes the blade to turn. In this case, I actually got the screws to turn about a degree and finally the slots were stripped. I then drilled out the top of the screws and thought the casing might lift off but no way. Finally I used a hack saw with a thin blade and manually sawed between the top of the pedestal and the bottom of the intermediate piece thereby sawing off the screws. Once the piece was removed, I tried hammering out the screws with a punch and heavy hammer but they didn't budge. Took it to a machine shop where they drilled them out. Unbelievable amount of oxidation to the point where the screws were bascially welded in place. I then tried drilling out the bottom part of the screws which were still in the pedestal. Couldn't drill and tap them good enough with a hand drill to be able to line up the new screws with the newly taped holes. Went back to the machine shop and had a 1/4 inch thick aluminum ring made with 8 holes in it. 4 holes attached the plate to 4 existing unused threaded holes in the top of the pedestal and 4 new thread holes attached the intermediate piece to the plate. So now my pedestal is 1/4 inch higher and I'm ready to install the new $150 shifter cable when I get it. There is no corrosion anywhere else on the pedestal except where those 4 slot screws were. I'm using anti-seize on all the parts when I reassmble. I hope this description helps if anyone else has to do this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.