SailNet Community - View Single Post - AMF Puffer Restoration
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013

Fairladyaffair is on a distinguished road
Re: AMF Puffer Restoration

Today I started I sanded the fiberglass repair to the as close to the shape of the keel as I could with the tools I have available.

After sanding I could see the air bubbles that resulted from the resin kicking before I could work them out. Luckily the bubbles were minor, will be easy to fill, and will not effect the integrity of the repair.

I started to sand down the hull but wasnt making the head way I wanted. I decided to safety prep the trailer and make the necessary adjustments to the rollers to support the weight of the boat correctly so another crack will not develop in the future.

As you can see in this photo, the boats weight is not evenly distributed. On a boat this size and weight this wouldntthink it would be be a big deal until you decide to rig the boat on shore while the boat is stable (like a sane person would do) and the boats fiberglass cracks (like what happened to me).

While I was inspecting the trailer I also discovered a few items that needed to be addressed. This was so loose that the axle just bounced freely along with the leaf spring.

A little side pic, I got a drop hitch for the truck with the proper ball size for such a small trailer...this should be hillarious, big truck...little boat.

Back to the project.

I also went to lowes and got some of this.

I traced the original wood pieces and made replacements for each. I gently clamped the wood in place with a rag in between each contact point to prevent from scarring the new surface.

I used that cheap skill saw in the backround to cut out each piece.

Once they were cut out I used a sanding black and some high grit sand paper to round the edges and smooth out any ridges made by the jig saw.

Next on the agenda is a couple of cracks and chips and some needed maintenance in the cockpit. Luckily my brother in law has access to some better sanding equipment as well as a paith booth. This weekend I am taking it down to him to do the finishing touches on the fiberglass and hopefully get the bottom painted and the cockpit repaired and resprayed. All goes well I should have the new cleats and blocks I need by the time the paint is dry. Pics will be taken of the progress, stay tuned.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook