SailNet Community - View Single Post - Experience installing portlights without fasteners?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013
Sailing to surf

Beersmith is on a distinguished road
Experience installing portlights without fasteners?

I am about ready to install some largish portlights/windows on my boat and am looking for other people's experience with this particular type of installation.

I plan on following these instructions: Hints For Replacing & Sealing Acrylic Boat Windows | THE PLASTIC SPORK BLOG

it is sort of a modified version of the "Sexy Windows" method that has been discussed here: How to install boat windows and port lights

instead of using the tape, it relies on the Sikaflex for the whole bond. The Sexy Windows article even mentioned in the updates that he might go this route of not using the tape.

My biggest concern was that the bond is only as good as the paint on the cabinside, so I plan on grinding off all of the paint under the windows so it will be bonded directly onto the gelcoat.

Of course the alternative would be to thru-bolt the ports, still using the Sikaflex with spacers. However, the methods in the links above are designed so that no fasteners are needed, which is where leaks seem to show up.

Has anyone had experience good or bad with bonding ports without fasteners?

thanks