SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bilge improvment
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013
scuppersinspired

scuppersinspired is on a distinguished road
Bilge improvment

Well three weeks ago I took the plunge. I am now the proud owner of a 1981 PSC 37'. From what I can decipher from the hull number she is number 104 or the fourth hull built by Pacific Seacraft. Much of what is on her is original so after an enjoyable four day trip I started digging. First on my list is the fuel tank. I pulled the tank to find it in surprisingly good condition. Under the tank I found a muddy, oily, watery mess. Being an older boat my bilge design maybe different but what I have are a front bilge, mid bilge where tank is located and a rear bilge. The front and rear I will be able to clean whenever I want but the mid bilge will require removing the tank. I started thinking and decided that I would like to glass in a tube under the tank between the keel bolts connecting the front and rear bilges. In doing so I will keep the inaccessable bilge clean from anchor water and mud from the front and engine residues from the rear. In the case that I ever had a tank failure, it would be contained in the mid bilge where there is nothing for it to mix and contaminate with for easier clean up. It will also keep my tank from sitting in water greatly reducing corrosion of the tank. My question is does anyone see any reason, safety or other why I shouldn't do this?
Thanks, -Scupp

Last edited by scuppersinspired; 06-13-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook