SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Protocol
Thread: VHF Protocol
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013

Goldfinger is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Just reviewed the CG's procedure for issuing a Mayday (post 13). Wondered why they want the words Mayday stated 4 times, and the boats name stated 5 times BEFORE the location is given.
Here in OZ call Mayday 3 times and repeat vessel name 3 times is designated. Having said that, many boat names are very difficult to understand over a poor VHF transmission and a skipper with an accent can make it worse, perhaps that's why they want it repeated more times.

Never-the-less, in responding to a mayday I would ask for the location, POB and problem, (in that order) BEFORE clarifying the vessel's name if I didn't get it the first time. Vessel name, description and any other details can be gathered once response has been initiated (as you say)... and (to repeat myself) if communications are lost before all details are collected, you have what you need to go searching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
While 30 seconds could make a difference if I lost my engine, steering, etc. and was in danger of being washed aground, I would have deployed ground tackle before issuing a Mayday, if I didn't have enough crew to do both simultaneously. Thoughts?
AND if you get your ground tackle out and you're stuck hard, then you are no longer in a Mayday situation. Mayday is defined as: "a vessel or person using it, is threatened by grave and imminent danger and requests immediate assistance."

Last edited by Goldfinger; 06-14-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Clarity
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook