SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I'd like to thank you both for these efforts.. it's been a treat watching the process..

Glad you went for the double spreaders!

Now for the nitpicking:

Make mine fixed keel, please, no need for the lift (draft or complication wise)

On the aesthetics side, love the way you retained the essential 'look' on the hull; the whole concept of a traditional, beautiful old style 'yacht' with a high performance underbody lurking unseen below appeals to me greatly. My only change, I think, would be to not use the ramped front of the coachhouse.. I think the 'look' would be further preserved with a more truncated cabinfront, perhaps along the lines of a Niagara 35.

She's lovely as she is, but I think the whole 'illusion' would be more complete that way. Just my opinion, of course. Hey - we could 'paint' a gaff on the main so that from a distance she'd look like a gaff and tops'l rig.... (Kidding!!)

Anyhow, as I've said before, someone needs to build this one...
Ron,

I think that most folks (especially on the N.A.West Coast) would opt for a fixed keel. It would certainly be less complex and less expensive. But here on the East Coast where I happen to have spent my sailing carreer, the ability to reduce draft to around 5'-6 opens a lot of doors and makes running the intercoastal a less stress free experience.

The forward end of the cabin was something that I had wrestled with and debated with myself. I do not really have a very firm opinion on it. There was a part of me that thought that the vertical face was more in keeping with the earlier design studies and fit into the evolution better than the wedge. But a part of me thought that a vertical face seemed incongruous with more modern sail plan and stern on the design. Also the wedge made single-handed sail folding easier but that is such a nit pick that its probably not worth mentioning....

Anyway, its not all that hard for me to redraft the forward portion of the cabin and I can put it up here for discussion.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook