SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailing as i write
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: sailing as i write

Tried to post this before but it seemed to get lost; Sailnet was down late this morning (EDT?) Anyway: The direction of the current in the ICW could be fair or foul for each segment of your trip depending on how close you are to the inlet. If the tide is (for example) ebbing, the water will be rushing toward the nearest cut or inlet. As you proceed, the current will be fair till you get alongside that inlet, then foul as you motor or sail parallel to the shore away from that inlet and stay foul until you get to the divide where the water goes toward the next inlet in line, when your current will be fair again. If you compare your GPS speed over ground to your knotmeter speed through the water, you will know if it is fair or foul. Or look at a passing piling or daymark: water piles up on the side facing the current and there is a small slick behind on the downcurrent side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook