SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post

I'm no Master Mariner, but it absolutely stuns me how many "Skippers" give little or no consideration to the effects the forces of nature are having on the operation of their vessel.
This is the tidbit I'm having the hardest time getting through to the Admiral. That wind and current effect the boat at ALL times, if you aren't tied to the dock you ARE moving.

I screwed the pooch coming out of the slip on Tuesday. We are port side to the finger, bow in. The boat has considerable prop walk to the left in reverse, wind about 6-10 from the starboard beam. We need to back out to the right, then exit left.

My plan was have my wife drive, ease back in reverse with me walking the boat out, at end of slip give a shove to get the stern moving to the right and step on. Worked fine up to that point but I came out to slow and/or needed to shove the bow out as well. Ended up the bow blew left before we cleared the end pile, little creosote on the bow pulpit, face crimson. Haven't always been the smoothest in and out of the slip but that's the first time I bumped into something. Inexpensive lesson, probably won't happen again.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook