Originally Posted by brokesailor
Wifey, 1 crew and myself cast off on Saturday for Newport R.I. Departing from Solomons, Md. so we have decided with the forecast on Friday to sail down the Bay and out thru the Bay bridge Tunnel.
Once in Newport we plan on staying a couple days then start to work our way back daysailing along the way. Extra crew leaves the boat in Newport so it will be Wifey and I from then on.
Major stops planned: Block Is, Mystic, NYC and Cape May.
I'm sure I'll probably need help along the way so I'll keep you posted. This will be our first coastal cruise.
Looks as if you will have perfect winds for your trip: Today 15-20 knots, gusting to 30 knots, from the North, Saturday with West 10-15 knots, Sunday and Monday - 10-15 knots, gusting to 20, out of the SW.
Do you plan to depart the Bay via the North Channel and honor Nautilus Shoal?
I have the urge to cut inshore, but have always gone out to #2.
You might want to take a straight shot from the Bay entrance to Block Island or Newport. You have roughly 100 n.m. from Solomons to the Bay entrance (20 hrs at 5 knots), then 140 n.m. (28 hrs/48 hrs total) from the Bay to Cape May, then 200 n.m. (40 hrs/88 hrs total) to Montaulk/Block Island. It is roughly 300 n.m. (60 hrs. at 5 knots) from the Bay entrance to Montaulk/Block Island. With ideal conditions, you could make the whole trip in a straight shot in 4 days from Solomons. If you coastal hop with overnights in Cape May and NYC, you will add another 2 days at a minimum.