View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Almost free boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ34 View Post
A Mariner 36 ketch on my dock was recently offered free of charge to the first taker. No liens, all taxes paid, slip fees paid up and with the marina managers blessing.

The boat was complete and sail-able with a couple of weekends worth of clean-up and elbow grease. It had a newly rebuilt Perkins diesel, and according to the guy who maintained the boat for the owner, it was in good mechanical condition. However, cosmetically it was a mess. The owner lived aboard with a dog that never went out to do it's business and just standing near the thing could trigger gag reflex of some more civilized folks.

I did the math and after a very deep clean, new cushions, port windows, electronics, new binnacle compass etc etc etc., I would have had more money in the boat than it was worth and I would have done all the work myself.

Now an observation of human behavior: About a dozen people looked at the boat. All were turned off by various aspects and unanimously declared they were "Absolutely not interested". After three months, the owner finally found somebody willing to take it off his hands. As soon as the new owner showed up to begin the clean-up, almost all of the people who turned their noses up before were suddenly willing to start a bidding war and were shocked and angry at the previous owner for giving the boat to an outsider. Go Figure.
Fascinating story, and insight into human behavior.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook