SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

In my defence, I was 28 years old when I drew the cabin trunk for the Valiant 40. It was my second design for grp construction. I didn't know much but I was confident. When I saw the first Valiant 40 deck I thought, "Shitski! Did I draw that?" Then I went back and looked at the drawing and the answer was, "Yes kid. You did draw that." Somebody once called it a "shoe box on a banana". But it served to teach me some very valuable lessons regarding cabon trunk design. I think if you look at the cabin trunks on the Valiant 32 and Valiant 47/50 you can see that I learned quickly.

Ironically, when Valiant decided to add the Esprit to the line as the Valiant 39 (they added a bowsprit) They had me design a new deck for the boat, one with a boxier cabin trunk.

One feature I try to avoid is a cabin trunk forward face that is neither a "ramp" not a step. I prefer a definite step with a near vertyical face
(perpendicular to the sheer at that spot or maybe raked a hair more) or a gentle slope that is easy to walk up. I think I nailed it on the Esprit. Jeff's looks like it would beasy to walk up but just barely. Aesthetically I think I might prefer a chopped off cabin trun forward. Maybe Jeff can do a modified profile and we can take a look at that option. But keep in mind Jeff drew the boat for himself and the way you see it is the way he wanted it. So there,,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valiant-40-Anthem-stern.jpg (59.9 KB, 14 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bobperry; 06-14-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook