SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

I think these boats are cool as hell, but can't help but notice a few things that may be problematic going into the AC. Cat's by nature sail fastest when flying a hull. These boats seem to need to be sailed more flat in order to foil. These two opposing concepts seem to make them difficult control.

They have wave piercing hulls (like a high tech Cat) but sail fastest when there hulls are not even touching the water... Makes me question the overall design concept.

With the VERY rapid acceleration that takes place when the boat goes up on foils it seems like its going to be difficult for these boats to sail too closely together while going around the course. That would conflict a bit with the concept behind racing these boats, in a near shore, spectator friendly environment.

Foiling was not in the original plan for these boats and I think it shows. My question is with the above points, is foiling going to make this AC better or worse???