SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
I think these boats are cool as hell, but can't help but notice a few things that may be problematic going into the AC. Cat's by nature sail fastest when flying a hull. These boats seem to need to be sailed more flat in order to foil. These two opposing concepts seem to make them difficult control.
I am thinking the speed advantage from flying a hull is the decreased wetted surface as a result. I think the whole foiling aspect of these boats makes this a mute point. My guess is my 19 foot kayak has more wetted surface than these boats when foiling.

I went back to re-watch this video. It is amazing to watch them scramble back and forth obviously working some sort of lines. But I can't see a single thing moving on the sails. It looks like the jib may be self tacking and I can't detect any movement from the wing. It looks like they just start cranking on the winch and the boat steps up on the foil and takes off. Maybe they are not controlling lines with the coffee grinders maybe they are winding up a huge rubber band.

Even the tactics and the boat movements seem totally foreign to me. The only thing I could tell for sure was when the upwind foil went down they were going to tack.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook