SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sliding Glass Doors?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-14-2013 Thread Starter
bobsaxet

Sliding Glass Doors?

Can sliding "glass" doors on cruising catamarans withstand water breaking over the stern(s). Specifically can they withstand a water jet velocity of 15 ft / sec.?

Basis for this question is the fabulous work done in the following USCG research article on series drogues:
Drogue Information
The article recommends that drogues be deployed from the stern when breaking waves could develop.

In section 6.4 - Boat Design - it says "companionway doors should be checked at a loading corresponding to a water jet velocity of approximately 15 ft./sec"

Meaningless stuff which you can ignore: I sail and race on an inland lake in my daysailer and dream of cruising on a bigger boat. Being a newbie I read a lot and think about the relative merits of cat versus mono. I've taken a bunch of ASA courses including recently the catamaran course on a Lagoon 38. It was great to be roaring along at 10+ kts through the water in 20+ kt true wind and moderate chop. It was even greater to duck into the cabin and enjoy my sandwich with my bottle of water resting calmly on the salon table unrestrained. I fear that this background will re-start the cat vs mono discussion! But this is not my goal!

I'm just curious these big, exposed doors.

Thanks in advance, Bob
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome