SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sliding Glass Doors?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013

bobsaxet is on a distinguished road
Sliding Glass Doors?

Can sliding "glass" doors on cruising catamarans withstand water breaking over the stern(s). Specifically can they withstand a water jet velocity of 15 ft / sec.?

Basis for this question is the fabulous work done in the following USCG research article on series drogues:
Drogue Information
The article recommends that drogues be deployed from the stern when breaking waves could develop.

In section 6.4 - Boat Design - it says "companionway doors should be checked at a loading corresponding to a water jet velocity of approximately 15 ft./sec"

Meaningless stuff which you can ignore: I sail and race on an inland lake in my daysailer and dream of cruising on a bigger boat. Being a newbie I read a lot and think about the relative merits of cat versus mono. I've taken a bunch of ASA courses including recently the catamaran course on a Lagoon 38. It was great to be roaring along at 10+ kts through the water in 20+ kt true wind and moderate chop. It was even greater to duck into the cabin and enjoy my sandwich with my bottle of water resting calmly on the salon table unrestrained. I fear that this background will re-start the cat vs mono discussion! But this is not my goal!

I'm just curious these big, exposed doors.

Thanks in advance, Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook