SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!

A number of westbound boats were windbound one day in Cobourg harbour (ourselves included). Spent the day mucking about on the boat, reading etc. I noticed a brand new 40 ft boat backing out of the slip and heard the skipper declining any help from folks close by. His wife was on the deck with a boot hook as a precaution. The wind caught his bow and it slammed into the dock as he was throttling and steering like crazy...got out of the slip and started blowing into shore lined with rocks...more crazy throttling and steering with limited results - infact making their situation even worse. A bunch of us are now heading to the area as fast as we can to help. He was starting to clear the shore but his bow was headed to the stern of another boat. He ended up sidewise against this boat and if I recall correctly, it was at this point that his wife fell off the boat almost banging her head on the other boat on the way down. She clambered back on board visibly angry and upset (and sopping wet). Finally they cleared the area and headed to their destination, which was the fuel dock. 20 minutes later they returned and as they approached the slip someone yelled "can we give you a hand docking?". The soaking wet wife glared at her very quite husband while responding "yes - please!". Despite the very warm temperatures, I suspect it was very cold on the boat for the rest of the afternoon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook