SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
It makes no sense to have a cabin trunk any wider that the widest part of your cabin sole. Most cabin trunks are to wide but some builders like that because it gves the boat a more "open feeling". There is nothing like big, broad side decks to make a boat easy to work and at the same time give it a nice, svelte look.
my cabin sole is 24" wide (that would make for 3' side decks and a cabin trunk the width of the present hatch openings). My idea was to have the sides of the cabin even with the backs of the settees. The only way I can sit up straight now is not to have my back against anything. My side decks are close to 28"...shrouds are on channel boards so are 6" outside rails. A couple of inches less on the side decks would be twice that below decks. I live on board but do like the large side decks, so did Atkin (he said "If you can't have side decks of 18" or more don't have any at all"). Granted with inside grab rails at the base of the trunk you can even get a hold at a nasty heel. Everything in a boat is a compromise, a balance between what works one way and another. Looking at my boat closely (as this thread has caused me to do) it is apparent this hull had it's root in a larger vessel (actually a New England fishing schooner). With the exception of hatches it would have been a flush or close to flush deck and still had room below decks. My present side deck is almost as wide as my bunk.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook