SailNet Community - View Single Post - Motor vs Rowing inflatable dinghy...
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Motor vs Rowing inflatable dinghy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Ship View Post
I'm not sure where you are located but here in the pnw we have lots of current, so a motor is almost mandatory. A little 4hp motor with an integrated tank only weights about 40lbs. It can be hung on your stern rail, no problem.
I have been rowing mine and having no problems. Often on days like today I am a twenty minute row from the dock in currents and wind and I get funny looks! Like "what is that guy doing rowing?" I never even considered a motor and I am perfectly happy as is. I think if you get one you will weigh down your dinghy and make it harder to row and I think if you have the option you will end up using it all the time.

I'm a little frustrated by some of the looks I get and the comments. I get people shouting patronizing comments at me several times a week. This week I had

" keep rowing you'll get there"
And
" why don't ou get a motor."

This from people who will happily cruise to an island and anchor for a week with nothing to do and just sit around and relax, somehow when it comes to a dinghy they are in too much of a hurry to row for fifteen minutes.

I think it's a good way for excercise like you already know. I guess you're just going to have to avoid the 4 knot currents. I can't imagine they are that common where you might be rowing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook