SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
I wouldn't be too fast to trash someone's boat handling. It may be that skipper never encountered a similar situation before - after all most are in a slip or on a mooring and only side tie at the occasional fuel dock.
Besides karma - in the form of an unexpected wind gust - can be a bitch. And the payment will only happen when the dock is jammed with people
There was no "handling" in the OP. My point was that there was no consideration of what the wind was doing to the mast and freeboard, or what tide was doing to the keel. The "thought" process was simply: "I'm going to drive this boat out of it's parking space, by pointing it where I want it to go, just like I do with my car". Often, the weight of the vessel and lack of brakes isn't a consideration either.
He never encountered a dock on Starboard and wind on Port?
Perhaps he should have skippered a smaller, more manageable boat to learn how a boat responds to the elements, before single handing a 40 foot boat in the SF Bay.
Sure, unforeseen circumstances and gusts can derail the best made plans, and I've freely admitted my blunders in this forum. However....there should be a plan. There wasn't in the OP!
I don't intend to be condescending in anyway, but I see examples so often it honestly amazes me. Fortunately, this thread has already produced a worthwhile exchange of ideas.

Last edited by L124C; 06-15-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook