SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing from British Colombia to Fiji - advice needed
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing from British Colombia to Fiji - advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshimasunset View Post
I'm thinking of taking a crew position on a 47ft sloop sailing from British Colombia to Fiji via the Marquesas Islands, leaving mid-may-june. I'd love to hear from anyone with experience sailing this route regarding difficulties, highlights, trip duration, considerations or suggestions.
I haven't sailed from BC but I did the trip from San Diego to Marquesas, that took me 24 days. It's a whole lot further from BC (about 1000nm further) so expect a long time at sea assuming you're sailing direct - be sure you get along with the other folks on the boat. If you're not sailing direct and have stops in the US and/or Mexico, then you don't have enough time for this trip.

From Marquesas to Fiji is milk-run stuff with lots of opportunities to stop in beautiful places. Discuss this with the boat owner because most of the fun of this trip is in the stops and if the owner is planning a whistle-stop trip then for me, the extended trip from BC to the Marquesas is not worth it.

On our trip we left San Diego 2nd June stopped only three places for short breathers (Marquesas, Bora Bora, Raratonga) and made New Zealand 10th August. So leaving BC for Fiji in June and sailing back Fiji to Hawaii in September doesn't leave a whole lot of time for R&R stops along the way. But I guess if you enjoy the ocean passages more than the stops (some folks do ) then that's OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshimasunset View Post
The planned return leg from Fiji to Hawaii is planned Sep-Nov.
Again my opinion only but any trip from the west Pacific back to the US (assuming that's the overall return trip strategy) is going to be tough. It is against all the natural systems (trades, current, etc) and few cruisers do it - many sell their boats in Australasia or the wealthy ship boats back to the US. Most continue on their way westwards.

And the Pacific is not a place for sissies from November to April.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook