SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
It makes no sense to have a cabin trunk any wider that the widest part of your cabin sole. Most cabin trunks are to wide but some builders like that because it gves the boat a more "open feeling". There is nothing like big, broad side decks to make a boat easy to work and at the same time give it a nice, svelte look.
My first boat had 2 ft wide side decks and I took their convenience for granted. For my next boat I went for 18 inch wide side decks, a decision ended up greatly regretting. For my current boat I went for 2 ft side decks again , and lived happily ever after.
Narrow side decks are OK ;at the dock or in the boat show, but when the boat heels, the top of the lifeline ends up inboard of the cabin side ,and going forward without having to walk on the cabin top is acrobatic to say the least. Its like running and obstacle course.
Many stock boats, designed for boat show priorities, are obstacle courses on the side decks . If you want the feel of a large interior ,mirrors strategically hung ,will give you that.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 06-15-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook