SailNet Community - View Single Post - P26 combination mast/deck light
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013

bblument is on a distinguished road
P26 combination mast/deck light

Hello again, everyone....

Thanks for you help in the past w/ my new-to-me Pearson 26. She's floating now, but the mast is down while I replace the support beam and compression post. Things are progressing....

While the mast is down, I attacked the wiring; the lights didn't work. The trouble was the wiring.. the usual combination of bad splice connectors and corroded wires. The lights themselves work, as do the switches on my panel and the wiring from the switches to the base of the mast. I pulled the light, which at first appeared to be a combination bow(steaming?) light and deck light attached to the front of the mast at spreader height. It's really just a cobbed together combination of a single deck light with what looks like a standard automotive dome or license plate bulb, and a white regular bulb in a baffled housing on top that I guess is used when under power.. yes? The downward-facing bulb is activated by the switch labeled "Spreader Light" on the panel, and the other light is activated by the "bow light" switch. I've attached two pictures of the assembly; one is as it appeared on the mast, and the other is disassembled.

Question.. I'd like to replace it with something; the lenses are all fogged, neither are very bright, and I'd also like to conserve battery usage. Is there something I could mount in the same spot that's LED-based? I looked around and haven't seen anything similar. Also, there's no light at all on the masthead, although there is a small block that the PO might have used to hoist a portable light of some kind. It may have been for a topping lift.. I don't know. There's a LOT I don't know... . I've attached a shot of the masthead, too, in case that's of any use.

Ideas/suggestions/advice? The $450 LED lights I've seen are way out of my range.. just sayin'....

Thank you!

Barry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comb Mast Light Comp.jpg (48.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Comb Mast Light Deconst Comp.jpg (72.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Masthead Full Comp.jpg (47.0 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook