SailNet Community - View Single Post - Oil change on my Atomic 4
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Oil change on my Atomic 4

Extracting only 2 qts. of oil per change seems on the low side to me. If memory serves I get somewhere around 3+ qts. out of my A4 in my Tartan 27. This may be dependent on what angle your engine is mounted in your P30. The steeper the angle of installation, the less oil you will get out through the dipstick hole.
Moyer Marine (you've heard of them right?) sells a kit that you install near the transmission (back end of engine - bottom of oil level) to make oil extraction easier and more complete.
I use a 12V Shure-Flo oil extraction pump through the dipstick hole which makes the job pretty painless but the extraction kit costs ~ $150. I have also used the drill powered pump and I'm not impressed that it is that easy to use or clean. A lot of folks say the vacuum pump oil extraction kits work quite well and they are not as costly as the 12V kits.

You need to have an easy way to change the oil on your A4 as this way, you will do it more often and your engine will like you better.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook