SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom paint on prop
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom paint on prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Over the years I have tried many things and up until now nothing has worked to my satisfaction. Having said that, I have been sort of experimenting with the duration of the bottom paint and have recently extended the time between haul-outs to 30 months and I have found that the biggest impediment to this is the prop and shaft which look like a mussel farm after 24 months.

Normal anti foul will last a few months, International Trilux maybe a little longer but any ablative paint will wash off quite quickly. It's not about boat speed, it's about prop blade tip speed.

I am reliably informed by friends and colleagues that this stuff is the only solution:

propspeed.com

My boat comes out in two weeks and I'm going to try it but unfortunately it will be two years before I can reliably report back.
I got to test out "prop speed" on my haul out in Tauranga in 06. It did a pretty good job for 2 years in between haul outs. Most of the time spent was passage making between New Zealand, Fiji, Vanuatu and Australia. Since we were not sitting in any one place for long it seemed to work well. I was given the "prop speed" on a "mates rates" deal. I would not pay for it now. I'm in the water enough to take care of any fouling on a regular basis. If my boat was to sit for some time, I think a coat of bottom paint would be ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook