SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bilge improvment
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013

MarcHall is on a distinguished road
Re: Bilge improvment

I have pulled the fuel tank a few times on Crazy Fish.

I have pulled it to
> clean the bilge
> check for the bottom of the fuel tank for holes
> replace the fuel tank which had a couple of small holes
> access/clean up the wire under the floor on the port side
> access/replace the fresh water hose under the floor on the starboard side.

The boat as delivered from the factory had a submersabile bilge pump forward about a foot aft of the mast compression post and a manual bilge pump in the cockpit with a hose that leads to a point just forward of the access hatch that the ladder sits on top of.

Since Crazy Fish sits a bit off of her lines with the stern sitting lower then the bow, bilge water tends to collect a bit aft of the submersabile bilge pump. One solution seems to be to limit the amount of water entering from anywhere.

A second solution I am working on but have yet to install:
A Jabsco Diaphram Bilge Pump or similiar located in the space beneath the galley trash can with a hose running to the same point where the manual bilge pump runs. This would limit bilge water to the deepest area of the bilge and normally keep the bottom of the fuel tank dry.

It will get done at some point but first I need to:
Install Newmar terminal strip in area adjacent to the mast compression post behind the three drawer cabinet. Will land the new mast wiring here. From the factory the wires were terminated at the base of the mast. The new solution seems better.
Finish the NMEA 2000 cabling to add the new B&G Triton wind instrument at the top of the mast.
Re-connect the WH below decks autopilot to the rudder post after replacing the wheel with tiller steering.
Replace the top of the new lopolight anchor light with lopolight plate that includes a mount for a windex and install windex.
Take the boat out sailing.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook