SailNet Community - View Single Post - Drinking water tank water.
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Drinking water tank water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Now, I have to admit it has been a long time since I was in the Bahamas, but if I recall, the municipal water supplies there were not all that safe.
Actually, many of the supplies in the Bahamas are now from RO, so they're pretty safe...

Frankly, I'm amazed at some of the replies in this thread... I'm with the crowd that has been using my tank water for everything for years, refreshing it frequently, of course... I built large access ports into my tankage, it's pathetic the lack of attention many builders give today to the importance of being able to keep your tanks clean...

Always carry an emergency supply in bottles, of course, but I'm with those who are appalled at the massively wasteful, unnecessary, and destructive impact of the bottled water industry on the environment... I would hope we as sailors would be doing our utmost to help minimize that sort of impact, it's not all that difficult to configure a safe system aboard any boat today...

Every true voyaging boat should have a means of catching rainwater IMHO, amazing what a good tropical downpour can produce in a matter of minutes... Anyway, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here who apparently is of the opinion that our - particularly my American brethren's - paranoia over this matter, and our increasing dependence on bottled water and onboard watermakers, has gone just a bit over the top... (grin)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook