SailNet Community - View Single Post - Poor 'none' Factory Response
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007

Sparrow409 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sparrow409
Customer Service/Warranty Issues for New Boat

We have had difficulties getting payment for warrantied parts for our boat—a one-year-old Saga 409 (Allan Poole, former owner of the now-defunct Saga Marine, now heads up Pacific Seacraft, where he continues to build Saga boats). We had to re-bed all the windows in our new boat early last summer—the original installment was extremely sloppy and leaked like crazy--and Pacific Seacraft assured us that they would take care of the bill for the job. Six months and many phone calls later, we still had not received any payment (we were even told once that ‘the check is in the mail’). Finally, last month, we were told by Pacific Seacraft that they simply didn’t have the money to pay us. Earlier this month, we did receive 50 percent of the cost for the rebedding, but we have no idea when or if we’ll ever see the remaining balance, given what appears to be the shaky financial health of the company.

The whole process of buying a brand-new boat was unexpectedly difficult for us, both time- and cost-wise. We learned the hard way that purchasing a new boat is not like purchasing a new car, and any prospective boat buyers out there would be well advised to have a lawyer perform due diligence on any company they’re planning to do business with. If anyone is considering the purchase of either a new Saga or Pacific Seacraft, I spent a long time last winter at Saga yachts in Canada trying to get my boat off the factory floor and I am very familiar with the management team that is now in place at PSC. I welcome any questions to the good, the bad and the ugly of our experience.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook