SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
He never encountered a dock on Starboard and wind on Port?
Actually I don't think I've encountered this myself. The only side dock situations I run across are fuel docks and the occasional pump out. Five gallons from a jerry can = 10 hours motoring for me and we have a pump out boat that comes around and pumps us out on Sunday mornings for free. So side docks are pretty rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
I've freely admitted my blunders in this forum. However....there should be a plan. There wasn't in the OP!
I don't intend to be condescending in anyway, but I see examples so often it honestly amazes me. Fortunately, this thread has already produced a worthwhile exchange of ideas.
I've seen some "interesting" docking, especially at dock & dine restaurants. I'll also admit to a few awkward landings, though thankfully I've never done anything more serious than get my heart rate up.

I thought a bit about this scenario after I read your description, and I have an idea of how I'd handle it with prop walk and a spring line. But the truth is I'd be experimenting and hopefully not too entertaining.

I generally try and give folks the benefit of the doubt unless alcohol or a cigarette boat are involved. Then it's just entertaining.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook