SailNet Community - View Single Post - What tools do you bring in your sailboats?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013

Net0man is on a distinguished road
What tools do you bring in your sailboats?

What tools do you bring in your sailboats? The reason I asked is because my wife and I had a boat trouble yesterday and I wished I brought my toolbox to fix it. Let me introduce myself then I will explain what happened at the Chesapeake Bay.

Last October, my wife and I completed the ASA 101 class and passed the exam to earn our certification. We joined a sailing club last May to start our sailing experience. Our club has two 25' sailboats; Hunter and Catalina. Our "home" dock is Deale, MD. So far, we have sailed four times and we look forward to go out in the bay again in the near future. We are planning a three days sailing trip on July 4, 5, & 6. Before we go out on the trip, we need to plan better especially with a toolbox.

What happened yesterday was we sailed the Hunter to Galesville and the trouble occurred when we entered the West River. The boat's mainsheet's pulley got disconnected from the traveler. We lost a control of the boom and we had to lower the mainsail. The pulleys piece cracked open and could not hold on anymore. If I have had a plier, I would try to squeeze the piece to close the gap so we could continue sail with the mainsail. Unfortunately, I had no tools and we used the jib sail and motor on way back to Deale, MD. Our club's boats do not come with tools.

Back to the question here is what tools do you bring in your sailboats? I am open to suggestions. I would start with the following tools for the future sails.

1. Screwdrivers - slot and philip
2. Adjustable Wrench
3. Pliers
4. Allen wrenches ?
5. WD40 ?
6. Hammer?
7. Long nose wrench ?
8. Groove Joint ProPliers ?

I'd appreciate any advice on selecting right tools that are commonly used on sailboats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook