SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
I'm no Master Mariner, but it absolutely stuns me how many "Skippers" give little or no consideration to the effects the forces of nature are having on the operation of their vessel. I would think all "Sailors" would at least have some awareness, and plan accordingly (as they have chosen wind driven craft). I would be WRONG!
Problem is.... I was that guy once. I attempted to be prudent and respect the current that I knew was in my area by leaving at slack tide. Slack tide.... High tide, and slack current are different things, on different (albet similar looking) tables.

I motored off and end tie with lots of room to make a turn, but the following current caused me to hit the boat in front of me. Minor damage to both (I paid for their damage).

A bystander who helped commented about how idiotic it was to leave when the current was rushing at 3+ knots. "All you have to do is look down at the water to see it." I didn't look down at the water, I looked at my tide table. A also wonder if I would have been able to see it, the way I can now. Now when I see seaweed streaming out sideways from the dock I take note, but not then.

I was 6 months into the learning adventure that continues today (sailboat ownership) and I knew not what I didn't know. Yup, I was that guy.... I just pray that I'm not still that guy.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 06-17-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook