SailNet Community - View Single Post - Drinking water tank water.
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Drinking water tank water.

I must be amongst the lucky ones too.

I have taken water from a rain tank in Madagascar, from a stream coming down the mountain in Bora Bora. I have taken water from a ship that had been standing in Raratonga for several months, I have taken water off my sails during rain squalls.

I always use the water in my tanks for everything. The only time we have ever treated the water was when it smelt a bit dodgy (municipal water), we drained that tank, put in some purification tablets and filled it with rain tank water from our local yacht club and moved on. I have been sailing cruising boats for around 30 years and nobody has ever been sick on my boats due to water quality.

We have rain water off the roof of our house for all our water at home - we have no municipal water and don't want any. Our rain tank is completely untreated. We use it for everything. Nobody gets sick. 6000 other people on our island do the same in their homes'

I heard about giardia for the first time last week when I was discussing fitting a 5 micron filter and was told that it would not remove giardia. I fitted a 2 micron filter and the total dissolved solids (TSD) in our rain water dropped from 26 to 22 and the flow of water reduced by 60%. The filter is now in a locker in the workshop where it will probably stay until I need the space and throw it out. The TSD in the mineral water that my wife buys was 77. The water from my mate's RO watermaker is around 60. Yes I know that TSD does not speak for bacteria so don't bother going there.

In my humble opinion if water was such a killer, this planet would not be over-populated - a few billion people in the world drink unpurified water every day and have done so for centuries. Yes I know some of them die. People die from eating fast foods.

And finally, for those that refill their disposable water bottles - the plastics that those bottles are made of are apparently not very compatible with the chlorine in your municipal water and are probably not that great for being refilled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook