Re: Singlehanding- Flaking the Main
I guess I'm out of the norm, I flake it as I drop it, even when single handing.
If you have halyards run back to the cockpit then there is a good chance that the halyard is running along the deck at the base of the mast. You can use your foot on this exposed line as a brake.
So the process is:
* turn into the wind
* use the autopilot or lock the helm to keep pointing that way
* open clutch and quickly move to mast
* put your foot on the halyard
* flake the first few flakes that fell as you were moving
* release a little sail, flake, repeat until it's down
You have to keep an eye on where you are going of course, and be ready to run back to the cockpit if you need to steer.
I'm no longer participating on SailNet.