SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Boating right for me?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Boating right for me?

Hey,

Interesting post.

When I decided to try sailing (10 years ago) I didn't know anyone who sailed. I had a small amount of money to put in (under $5000), so I figured "why not?" and just jumped in. With $5000 to spend, going to boat shows would not be productive.

I blame it all on my wife. We were sitting in traffic returning from a weekend in our 27' motorhome, when she said 'you know, we live on an island, we should get a boat.' One thing led to another, and the next thing I know I was on all sorts of sailing sites looking up trailerable sailboats.

After a month or so of research, I looked at a number of boats and then bought an early 80's Catalina 22. I paid $4500 for the boat, and I figured that as long as I didn't sink her I had to get back SOME of the money if I determined that sailing wasn't for me. No one but me inspected it, but C22's are pretty simple, and, thanks to the internet, I knew some things to look at.

We spent the first season trailer sailing the boat. The sailing was great, the tow / rig / launch / recover / stow / tow home stuff was not. Second season was on a mooring and that was great.

Been sailing happily ever since.

Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook