SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Boating right for me?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013

eeyorebob is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Boating right for me?

Well, yes there is that side to it. If you don't know anyone that goes sailing it could be difficult to try it out. Another option could be to look at joining a sailing club if there is one nearby. This will help you discover some of the basics that you may not have thought about. I'm lucky, I live near the coast, so there are plenty of clubs about here that I can pop along to and chat with (if I was starting out now i mean).

If you don't have anyone with boat knowledge when you are looking to buy your boat, I'd suggest you definatly DON'T go second hand, but go to a boat dealer who is local to you, they offer guarantees and usually are on hand for repairs etc, it would be difficult to transport a broken boat back to another dealership/yard outside of your local area. Do not feel pressured into buying a boat at a boat show (may be a good idea to leave your credit card behind at home!) as often you will come across high pressure selling and you could get talked into something you really regret
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook