SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
A good sailmaker should be able to advise you, but your boat has a lot more drag and a lot more weight than most modern designs. Because if that the sail cloth would want to be slightly on the heavy side for a 30 footer and the sail cut slightly 'powerful' rather than flat cut. You do not want to over do the power since your boat is initially a little tender. You will want a 'hard, dense weave, cruising cloth' rather than a 'soft cruising cloth'.

If you are going offshore on a regular basis, you will want seams with the cloth lap edges folded and stitched under (it adds weight and harms sailing ability, but stands up better to flapping.) If you are going to the tropics, there are threads which have better UV characteristics and you may want to opt for them. You will want spreader patches on all your sails, and you can add stick on chafe cloth where the seams touch the shrouds when reaching. You will want oversided reef patches and heavy webbing reinforcement on your clew and reef clew grommets. You will want full length battens set horizontal so that they do not jamb and you can avoid a custom track on the mast.

If you do not have a vang, make sure that your sail maker knows that since the sail will have way more twist than ideal. (Another reason to have full length battens) You will probably want a loose footed mainsail since you are singlehanded and it makes R&R-ing the sail way easier. You may want a spectra strop at the clew to reduce stress on the boom.

You may want a single reef on the foot of your genoa if you do not gave furling and guide rings for a downhaul on your hanks.

That is all that comes to mind....
Jeff
Thanks, this will be very helpful. I do not plan on single handing, will be spending most of my time in the tropics. As far as stress on the boom, my boom is laminated red fir. Considering the first things sailmakers look at when assessing a sail is the condition of the stitching, I want to make sure I use a stitching designed to stand up better to UV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I had UK laminated sails on my boat for ten years and they held up perfectly. But for offshore work and durability I think dacron is the safer material. But Wolfy, if you find a good lam sail cheap that would fit I sure wouldn't pass it up.
Bob, I did find a good source of laminated sails cheap (Load-path)....but the same source sells Dacron sails cheaper ( called "off shore racing" Dacron sails). My my main is about 30 years old...doesn't look nasty baggy or anything and by Carol Hassey's standards I was told it had a couple years use left in it. This will give me time to look around, learn a bit more about sails, my boat, save up money and find an inexpensive (cheap implies quality) sail maker.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 06-17-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook