SailNet Community - View Single Post - What tools do you bring in your sailboats?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
Re: What tools do you bring in your sailboats?

If you OWN a boat, you will (should, have to) end up creating the "tool set" you need for your boat.

A club boat is a completely different matter, and makes it hard for you to plan ahead. Perhaps you can get the CLUB to provide a basic set of tools, if you can get the lawyers to stop arguing about "responsibility" and all the other BS they come up with: "Can't let out tools on our club boats, some skipper might hurt himself trying to fix something!" You get it, right?

In addition, consider that SPARE PARTS are part of any good tool kit. Cotter pins and rings, bolts, shackles, etc. I was leaving our anchorage the other day and was called over by two guys in a Mariner 32 ketch. The single small bolt that kept their transmission and shaft couplings together had sheared and they couldn't move the boat! I side tied to them, and pulled out my old toolbox with all sorts of spare parts, they found one that worked and were back in business.

Most every good sailing book has a list of tools and spare parts recommended by "those who come before." I'm sure that online resources, like Beth Leonard and Evans Starzinger's website would also have a list.

But, it ain't your boat.

As a club member, you might want to address this issue and participate in a committee to rectify this shortcoming. It's dangerous to sail without tools. It IS a SAFETY issue for club members.

And a 25 foot boat doesn't need the bunch of tools I've got on my inboard diesel engine powered boat. I had a lot less tools on our Catalina 25 and we owned it for 13 years.

Good luck with the lawyers.