SailNet Community - View Single Post - What tools do you bring in your sailboats?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: What tools do you bring in your sailboats?

I have way more tools onboard than what I expect to live there long term. When you are catching up on projects and installing new stuff it is handy to have a lot of things that you may not need long term. Some of the bigger items that I've been keeping on board are a shop vac (just removed and replaced with a smaller vac), a cordless drill and dremel, full socket set, extensive electrical kit (including spools of wire), and perhaps 10lbs of spare bolts/nuts/cotter pins/etc.

The most basic set of tools that I would consider would have:
* multi-bit ratchet screwdriver
* two adjustable wrenches (you need 2 to adjust turnbuckles)
* mini-socket set with at least a 7/16" bit (correct size for the nuts on 1/4-20 bolts, which are used by most through deck hardware) and 3/8" bit (for #10 bolts)
* leatherman-type tool for it's pliers, knife, and wire cutters
* small hammer
* small hacksaw (to cut rigging)

Spare cotter rings, pins, electrical tape, and a small variety of screws, bolts and nuts. Hose clamps for 3/4" and 1-1/2" sizes (2 each).

That could all be put into a small tool wrap and weigh a couple of pounds and cost under $200. That's about the scope of the tool set that I brought with me when bringing my new (to me) boat home from it's old marina to the new one.