SailNet Community - View Single Post - What tools do you bring in your sailboats?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: What tools do you bring in your sailboats?

I am a mechanic, and if I bring all of my tools I will sink the boat, but I have a small canvas tool bag that goes everywhere I go. It contains a 1/4 in ratchet set, a 3/8 in set, and a 1/2 in set, sizes from tiny to 1 7/8" and a full set of box end open end wrenches in the same sizes. I also have four pipe wrenches, two smaller 12 in and two 18 in, also two adjustable wrenches, a set of screwdrivers and nut drivers, also contains some star and allen heads. A set of good allen wrenches. A couple of files, a rasp, and some razor type scrapers, and two box cutter type knives. Pliers in the various types, for cutting wires and gripping, plus a small set of six various sizes of vice grip pliers. A volt/ohm meter, a manual oil pressure gauge on a flexible hose with a fitting to thread it into the sending unit spot. Oh and maybe one or two other favorites and a soldering iron, an 18 volt cordless set with drill, saw, sawzall, and such in a plastic case. And that about covers it, it weighs in at around 125 pounds total including the cordless tool set. If I am going on an extended cruise I will also take along a small gas chainsaw, you just never know when a chainsaw will come in handy... If I do things the way I want to do them I will have to make a few mods to my next boat, I have to have a few more tools if I am going to live aboard and be gone a long time. So I guess it very much depends on your mechanical skills, because I could hand you all of my tools and if you cannot troubleshoot the problems you will still need to call someone. Take things you know how to use and are comfortable with, and feel you should have, like the previous post said you will still have everything but what you need LOL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook