SailNet Community - View Single Post - Viewing a Bristol 32 tonight... Questions
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road
Re: Viewing a Bristol 32 tonight... Questions

Cannot stress the value of a survey enough. I would walk through the boat, see what you can see. In looking at boats recently, that was enough to make me walk away several times. But in the end, I found a boat that I liked and the owner had spent a lot of time working on the boat (and was knowledgeable and skilled).

Long story short, the agreed price was $7k. Surveyor found some somewhat important problems with the boat that the owner wasn't aware of. Owner dropped price to $6500 and is now fixing all the problems. I feel a bit bad. The surveyor valued the boat quite a bit lower than I think was reasonable (from knowing the market a bit). So the owner was really caught short and I feel a little bad for him. But I don't have extra money floating around.

You can really only find so much by yourself unless you know what you are looking for. Best $475 I ever spent. I would search hard for the best guy in your area and whatever he quotes you, pay it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook