SailNet Community - View Single Post - Viewing a Bristol 32 tonight... Questions
View Single Post
post #19 of Old 06-17-2013
sully75

Re: Viewing a Bristol 32 tonight... Questions

Cannot stress the value of a survey enough. I would walk through the boat, see what you can see. In looking at boats recently, that was enough to make me walk away several times. But in the end, I found a boat that I liked and the owner had spent a lot of time working on the boat (and was knowledgeable and skilled).

Long story short, the agreed price was $7k. Surveyor found some somewhat important problems with the boat that the owner wasn't aware of. Owner dropped price to $6500 and is now fixing all the problems. I feel a bit bad. The surveyor valued the boat quite a bit lower than I think was reasonable (from knowing the market a bit). So the owner was really caught short and I feel a little bad for him. But I don't have extra money floating around.

You can really only find so much by yourself unless you know what you are looking for. Best $475 I ever spent. I would search hard for the best guy in your area and whatever he quotes you, pay it.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome