SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Don't "drive" your boat like it's a car!

I dock at my home's pier so obviously all my docking has been absolutely perfect

Fuel docks and 'dinner docking' is occasionally less than perfect because (and I mean this) often the teenager on the pier can not understand or follow simple instructions screamed at him over the roar of my diesel cycling back and forth at full thrust or the clank of my rudder going side to side slamming the stops while my depth alarm screams it's warning and my crew throws a 40 pound ball of rope at him over the echo's of my perfectly varnished 4 inch wide rub rails splintering on a piling (a bit late throwing the rope dear), although it might be that the dock hand is confused by the ever so helpful shouted instructions all of the salty skippers are hollering at both him and me.

But seriously, I learned the value of fenders and spring lines warping nuclear submarines off the tender, and continued learning from Navy docking and then Capt Jack's excellent tutorials. The only time I've had a hard time docking was with my power boat, dang thing can't turn unless the engine is running. Who designed rudderless boats?