SailNet Community - View Single Post - coconuts
Thread: coconuts
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 06-17-2013
Brent Swain

Re: coconuts

Coconut meat starts with the consistency of mashed potatoes, but super sweet , a great pudding. It gradually hardens as it matures. The water also starts out super sweet. As they are so plentiful that they make a good food source underway. Tongans say pigs dont get so fat, if you dont feed them coconuts.
I had a problem with the skin on my feet getting hard and cracking, while cruising the summers in BC. I sailed to the South pacific and had no problem down there. When I came back to BC, the problem returned. So I sailed south again and again it disappeared, only to reapear when I got back. Then, while sitting in the cockpit with a friend, she looked at my cracked feet and said "You need some coconut oil in your diet."
I started cooking with it, and the problem disappeared. She was looking after a wheelchair and bed bound person who had problems with bed sores. A teaspoon of coconut oil in his cooking, and the problem disappeared, never to return, as long as he keeps taking the coconut oil.

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome