SailNet Community - View Single Post - Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

I went to HH today. Mark showed me the transmission and the engine. The damping plate is certainly toast. The inside of the bell housing is all scraped up, too. The heat exchanger's zinc probably had never been replaced, so the copper is starting to wear through. There are a few hoses that do need to be replaced. There is oil in the back chamber. So, the question was, how to proceed? I really don't want to invest in rebuilding the HBW5 transmission; I've read many places that the rebuilt transmissions tend to die within a few years, and the cost of rebuilding approaches the cost of a newer transmission. So, Mark is researching replacement transmissions. If we can find one that should work, we'll go that route.

What that won't tell us, unfortunately, is whether the oil that we see inside the engine is from the transmission or from the engine itself. The oil to be engine oil, but apparently on some transmissions you could get away with using some engine-style oils. To play it safe, I've asked for an estimate to replace the rear seal. Given where we are in the process, that seems like a smart investment. I'll also be receiving an estimate for the heat exchanger.

While I was there, I cleaned out the engine compartment. It looks MUCH better than it did. It could still use some additional cleaning, but this is about as much as I'm willing to do:

I also dried out the bilge and got almost all of the oil out of it. So, now we're starting from a better place once the engine work is finished.

I also had a chance to install the bimini I made. Its a little tight, but not so much so that I couldn't get it on.

You can also see the lifeline pads and ladder pads that I made (kids complained about the ladder on the previous boat hurting their feet).

Next I need to install the "sunroof" into the bimini (helps to actually SEE the mast and sails!) and to make a "sock" to fit over the hole for the backstay, then I think I can officially sign off on the bimini and start on the dodger. I tried patterning that myself last trip, but I think I need a second set of hands for that one.

Thanks to BoatUS losing my order, I wasn't able to install the name today.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (06-17-2013)