SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom paint on prop
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Bottom paint on prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Here's what WM charges. I would call that "really expensive"!
Yep, I would call that expensive too.

In New Zealand things are done a bit different. Here the product is not available off the shelf. It is only available through "registered applicators" who do the whole job and do not sell the product. On the face of it that sounds like a bad idea. But it isn't, at least it seems to work, here's why.

The owner cleans the prop as best he can, the better you do it the less it costs. Then the contractor comes along and does a final prep, primes the running gear and then does the Propspeed application and top coat. Where is the advantage? Well, they only use as much product as is required and generally that is far less expensive than buying the product in tins. And the applicator provides a limited liability warranty on durability.

As an example, to do my boat with an 18" 3 blade prop including labour product and consumables the estimate of what it will cost me is about NZ$220 - that's about US$175. For the peace of mind that I believe it will give me I reckon that's not too expensive.

Also from what I have heard the durability of the product is totally dependent on the quality of the application - if it is applied badly you may as well just pour it into a bin somewhere. Which is why in NZ they won't sell the product - they had DIY jobs go bad and it was ruining the products cred so they stopped selling it for DIY use.

We'll see, my boat comes out next week - the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook