SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom paint on prop
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Re: Bottom paint on prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
FWIW my experience with Trilux is that it probably did as much good as leaving the prop naked. And that stuff is not that much less expensive that Propspeed - in NZ we pay around $100 a litre.

I've been told by the "experts" that Trilux is intended for aluminium and isn't expected to work on bronze components. Seemingly their ad appears to confirm:

"specially formulated with Biolux to be the safest & most effective product for use on aluminum outdrives & outboards."

YMMV
It is designed for aluminum props and drives, I've used it on the sterndrive of the power boat for years, decided to give it a try on the stainless shaft and bronze prop on the sailboat and it works like a champ. I've used it for a total of about 4 years now (I re- apply every two years when I do the bottom paint) and the prop and shaft stay almost totally clean (we don't get a lot of growth here, only need to clean the hull once a year) Are you sure you are talking about the same stuff Om? This is a spray can, not a litre can that you brush on.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook