SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013
22' Westerly Nomad

Travelnik is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post

The best way I can describe more of the people I thought I would see would be European backpacking types. It's still very early I know. You read about about like lonely planet type backpackers doing adventures so I'm waiting to see them here yet.
My son is 25, and my daughter is 19. Neither one of them are into any kind of adventuring.

I thought that maybe adventuring was a hereditary thing, starting from when my great grandparents, on my mother's side, escaped the Bolshevik revolution.
On my father's side was bootlegging.
Grandfathers on both sides in WW2.
Both parents into racing and motorcycles. (My mom was a stock car racer in the late 50's.)

I was always exploring and adventuring, riding dirt bikes as a kid, drag racing, etc. I even spent a short time as a mercenary teaching hand-to-hand fighting. I didn't get to fulfill my greatest dream of sailing though.

I tried to encourage my kids to have bold adventures, but they're both into music. My son can play almost any instrument by ear, and my daughter is learning.
They're more on the creative side, and I'm proud of them both even if they don't follow the family tradition of adventure!

Anyway, the point I was getting to is that they both have friends that are into the backpacking around the world thing. Doing RTW is trendy right now, but if you look at most of the young people doing it, they're trying to make a fast trip just to have the RTW bragging rights.

It's faster to hostel-hop around the world than sail.

They go from hostel to hostel, and everything is mapped out on their iPhone or iPad. They don't need to interact with the locals to even ask directions!
They take pictures to post on their FB page or blog, and talk about meeting other RTW travelers from other countries. American fast food is everywhere they go, so they never even get to experience food from other cultures.

Cost is a big factor too.
Backpack vs. Boat
Youth Hostels vs. Marinas
Hiking Boots vs. Sails

You can see where that's headed.

I realize that not every young person is like that, but it is the current fad for many.

Some of them do it between high school and college; others after college, but both groups feel the pressure to get it done and get back so that they can become part of the "real world." Get the degree, the job, the house, the debt, etc.

There aren't many sailors around where I live either. This is bass boat country, and some of these guys around here have twin 300hp engines on the transom of an 18' bass boat! These guys are usually in the over 65 crowd too, so "fast" isn't just limited to youth!

I'm glad that there are some young people like you out there that are wanting to have some great sailing adventures, but sailing never has been a main-stream activity, and the marketing in the boat magazines doesn't help. Sure, they show the topless, or nearly nude 20 something super-model on deck, or on the pristine sands, but get out in the real world, and most of the nude women sailing are going to be in their 60's!

Just get out there and have fun northoceanbeach, no matter what age group you find to make friends with.