View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: excessive oil loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hi Ron,

Well, you may have a serious problem. Or you may not.

Have you checked the dipstick again? On my boat, if the engine has been running, and then shut down, the next time I pull the dipstick it will be bone dry. I still remember the first time I did that. I felt an electric shock as I thought "Oh crap, my engine is dead." I put the dipstick back in, pulled it again, and like magic, the oil level was right on. Happens every time too. First I pull the stick, then re-insert, and then I get an accurate oil measurement.

This happens on both my Universal M-25 and also on the M-21 in my previous boat.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Barry
This is caused by the oil stick tube being sealed air tight, and the lower end of the tube being below the oil level. When running or just oil slopping around the tube will drain and there is no way for the oil to get back into the tube due to the airlock. Also happens on some Isusu's. This can result in overfilling the sump. You add a quart and check it and it's still looks low.You can repeat this several times. Be Careful! Yes, I know from experience. Messy!!