SailNet Community - View Single Post - new to me 1969 Cheoy Lee Offshore 27
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013

agent9 is on a distinguished road
new to me 1969 Cheoy Lee Offshore 27

Hello. I have just purchased a 1969 Cheoy Lee Offshore 27 (Newell Cadet). I am sure this is a common story, but I purchased her to fix up and learn to sail. There is a lot of work to do, but I wanted to introduce myself and ask my first few questions / issues (there are / will be more).

She is berthed at Oyster Point in South San Francisco.

So I did not pay a great deal for the boat, knowing it needed some immediate work. It did come with a survey from the beginning of the year (which I take with a grain of salt) which said the bottom paint was fresh, and had some pictures of the boat hauled out of the water.

A couple weak points were pointed out in the standing rigging, so I am going to tackle that as my first big project. No idea how old the rigging is, and no fish hooks, but it does have a couple cracked swage fittings, and it looks old over all, so I want to replace the whole thing. I am totally new to all of this so I have done some research, but am still a bit lost on the process of boat rigging. The plan is to have a rigger do it, but do I have to take the boat to a boat yard with a crane to unstep the mast, then take all of the lines into the rigger, or is this something they can measure on the boat and replace with the mast up? I am not opposed to unstepping the mast as it would give me a chance to check it all over. I could also use a wind vane on top of it, which is currently missing.

While on the topic of rigging, the lifeline needs to be replaced, but I feel like this is something that I can take care of myself with some supplies and tools. Would love any advice on how to approach this.

Both the bow and stern hand rails have cracked from what looks like force from the lifeline, is there a simple way to repair these (like a sleeve and some epoxy)?

The automatic bilge pump was not functioning when I purchased the boat, I had a marina rewire and service the pump so it is now working. One thing is that does not seem to be taking care of the last 2" of water in the bilge. The sensor is obviously working, it turns on when submerged, but I am thinking maybe the run in the hose to the exit is too long, and the water is just flowing back in? I am not opposed to buying a new pump and setting up a more efficient system.

The prop stuffit box is leaking, I had a mechanic look at it. I believe they just tightened it to relieve the dripping, but it started again. I have noticed that it dribs pretty heavily when the motor is running or it is in neutral (running or stopped), but when I put it in reverse or forward gear it slows dramatically (sometimes reverse works better, sometimes forward works better). I had them look at it again and they say it requires a haul out to repair. I have read up on restuffing the box, and it seems pretty straight forward, any reason they would tell me I need a haul out? I need to double check with them exactly what they attempted.

I think those are the bigger things for now, much more to do on top of that, but those are the pieces I want to address before actually sailing her.

Thanks, here is a pic...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook