SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine LCD TV
Thread: Marine LCD TV
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Marine LCD TV

OK, so things have gotten fairly quiet here recently, and I thought I'd toss out a grenade.

More seriously, I have started entertaining the thought of putting in an LCD TV in our cabin. It would be great for my kids when we're at the boat and the summer afternoon showers roll in, trapping them inside. We have a small (7") portable DVD player, but it's hard for two of them to share that little screen, and that got me wondering if anyone has installed an LCD TV on their boat, and if so, what brand? Has it held up well in the "harsh marine environment"? I'm not looking for something super-huge, but a 20-24" TV could improve the over-all experience quite a bit for my boys.

Before anyone asks, my kids are avid readers (even though they are only 7 and 5, they can both read well) and we will keep the cabin stocked with good reading material for them. We'll also have playing cards, etc. But at their ages, their attention span, even for something like reading and cards, can be fairly short and being trapped in a cabin even for an hour can feel like an eternity (including for us adults). Having a TV as an option could significantly improve things.

I know I can get LCD TV's for about $200 in the size range that I want, and that's not a bad investment, and it's almost "disposable" at that point, but I'd really hate to buy one only to learn two months from now that the 120 degree cabin in August is/was likely to cause the liquid in the LCD to expand enough to rupture, or that the corrosion from the humid salt air in the cabin was enough to eat away at some of the electronics in only a few weeks.

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
Billzona (06-19-2013)