SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Wolf,

Something to think or toy over, Being as many seem to have a reef in there sail while off shore. a main with some roach to it, will not effect you as much in this sense from hitting th eback stay etc. The only time my for the most part fully roached main per phrf rules go is a PITA is in really light winds ie under 5 or so. I can eliminate some of the roach catching the back stay with no top full batten. BUT, being as you will have your main up for days at a time, vs me for a few hrs in the evening/day while out daysailing/racing, I can choose the setup for the top batten, ie none, light one or heavy one. For you, once you are on a tack you should not be tacking a lot vs my type of sailing, so the roach hitting the back stay is not that big of a deal frankly! Now tacking up haro straight or equal.......that might be an issue for either of us. But once on the open ocean per say..........

I will also still recomend you look at Ullmans CAL cloth sail. A laminate that is panel sewn like dacron. I can show you my 140 if you are in PL over labor day. Nice sail for very little more than dacron, works better in light winds etc. Will handle higher winds than dacron with out stretching also. A string on the other hand.......I still am thinking a CAL main would have been just as good as my string, at half the cost......next time.......

Marty