SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I have checked into the cost of having a sail track system that would allow me to have full battens and for my mast that means I would be spending over $1500 in addition to the cost of a new sail. My mast is laminated wood (basically solid) with an external T-track. t has been proposed that I use long battens
Wolf, one last time...if the full length battens are horizontal in the sail rather than at an angle you don't need a special track. My mainsail is nearly twice the area of your main and has very stiff full length battens heavily loaded, and I do not have or need a special track and the battens do not jamb. Forget that you ever heard about a special sail track system because that has nothing to do with full length battens. Absolutely nothing.

And even if the battens do not overlap you backstay, you lose a lot of you sail area without having roach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook